The kitchen revamp was one of those projects that we didn’t realise needed doing until we had completed it and became aware of just how dated it was before.
It was quite unassuming before, cream bulky units, cream walls, white tiles and magnolia floor tiles with black grout and a horrid beige pattern running through them that made them look eternally grubby. It was a perfectly functional, generally inoffensive kitchen but just didn’t really inspire us to spend more time than necessary within it.
First job was to tackle the units. We simply couldn’t afford a completely new kitchen and to be honest, it was perfectly fine, it just needed an update. The units are made from melamine, which has an almost plastic-like coating and would require a primer before painting. We used a multi surface primer first so that our chosen paint would adhere without streaking or flaking off.
Once the primer had dried we then painted two coats of Farrow and Ball paint in Manor House Grey. This is quite a big job, as it requires you to remove each cupboard door to ensure you reach all the corners. Massive pain in the arse, but necessary.
The worktops are wooden and we get asked a lot of questions about water damage or knife marks. We have had no issues with the wood turning green around the sink but we never really leave water standing on it and also have a dishwasher so plates aren’t left to drain over the wood. To keep the worktop looking tip-top we treat it with Danish Oil every few months, it feeds the wood and brings it back to life.
Once we had painted the units we felt that the cupboards looked too bulky and imposing so we decided to rip out three of the overhead units and replace with shelving (decide if you want to do this before you go to the effort of painting them!!) You can read more about the shelving on our Scaffold Board shelving blog post.
The next job was to tackle the tiles. We love patterned tiles and as we were always cleaning food and cooking grime off of the white ones, we selected a heavy patterned Moroccan style tile. I know the dirt will still be there, but I’m less offended by it if I can’t see it!
The tiles were the Archivo Bakula Tiles from Topps Tiles and finished off the splash backs perfectly.
Inspired by the blue tone of these tiles we decided to paint one of the main walls in the kitchen in a deep blue. It’s actually the same shade of Bottlenose Dolphin by Valspar that we used in the dining room but as it was an old tin, the paint pigments had faded slightly.
Lastly the floor needed to go! Ripping out the tiles was not really an option. Financially we couldn’t afford it and we had recently had our daughter so the thought of having workmen in and dust everywhere with a newborn just didn’t seem like fun.
We found a solution in Polyflor. I plan on writing a whole separate blog on Polyflor but you can read about the product here. We had a professional lay the floor, which involved them laying a self-levelling resin compound. This was poured straight on top of the existing tiles and fills the gaps and evens the surface. The polyflor is a luxury vinyl flooring and comes in large planks. It’s extremely hardwearing, looks and feels exactly like wood and was completed in 2 days with little fuss or mess.
We have gradually added in accessories and kitchenware to complete the look, all which I will link to below but if you have any questions then please leave a comment for us.